AUCC Data Science Initiative
The Atlanta University Center Consortium Data Science Initiative (DSI) launched in 2019 with a bold vision for data science education and research. A collaboration between the AUCC member institutions, AUCC DSI is working to increase the number of highly-skilled underrepresented minorities with skills in data science and to advance data science research, especially as it impacts minority communities. Increasingly relevant to most employment fields and academic disciplines, data science transforms information into highly relevant data using analytical methods such as algorithms, statistics, data mining, and predictive analysis.
The DSI endeavors to dramatically increase the number of underrepresented minorities with credentials in data science and data analytics and to also advance research using data science methods, especially in areas impacting minority communities. Led by the AUCC Data Science Faculty Council and the AUCC Council of Chief Academic Officers, the DSI is closely aligned with industry, research institutes, and governmental agencies. DSI received initial seed funding from UnitedHealth Group.
About the Incoming Director: AUCC Announces Appointment of Dr. Talitha M. Washington as the Inaugural Director of the Data Science Initiative
- Forbes: UnitedHealth Group Invests In Job Of The Future: Data Scientists
- Atlanta Business Chronicle: UnitedHealth Group, Atlanta’s HBCUs launching data science initiative
- Campus Technology: Atlanta HBCUs Join Forces for Data Science Initiative
- U.S. Black Engineer: $8.25 million funding to train a new generation of Data Scientists
- Insight News: UnitedHealth Group partners with Atlanta HBCUs with five-year $8.25M investment for Data Science Initiative