Title: Manager, Communications & Event
Organization: Atlanta University Center Consortium Inc.
Reports to: Director, Operations
OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION: RE-ENVISIONING OF THE ATLANTA UNIVERSITY CENTER COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS AND RESULTS
The Atlanta University Center Consortium (AUCC) is the oldest and largest academic consortium serving primarily African American students. Its members are four historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs); two liberal arts colleges, a comprehensive research university, and a medical school; that confer undergraduate and graduate degrees across a range of disciplines. Graduates of the Atlanta University Center institutions are leaders in their chosen fields. In addition, AUC research addresses a broad range of issues, with a particular focus on issues and disparities facing minority populations.
Shared Vision for AUCC as an Innovative Think Tank
The Council of Presidents of the Atlanta University Center, which includes the presidents of Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse College, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Spelman College, have developed a shared vision that shifts AUCC from an organization focused on the coordination of individual programs and governance councils to an innovative think tank focused on thought leadership, collaboration, and innovation for strategic initiatives that will yield meaningful and effective outcomes for each campus and the AUC. Additionally, the vision for the AUCC is to provide a collaborative space to incubate innovative best practices relevant to the broader higher education community, with special focus and emphasis on underrepresented groups in higher education.
The Atlanta University Center Consortium (AUCC) transformation is aligned across three major areas: (1) academics, research and student success; (2) optimizing campus operations; and (3) economic development and community development, and campus engagement strategies.
AUCC seeks an accomplished Manager, Communications & Events who has at least 3-4 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
This Manager, Communications & Events role is strategic and has a heavy emphasis on brand management. This role is responsible for managing all communications plan activities and building external relationships with the organization’s constituencies, including funders and the media.
Reporting to the Operations Director, this position will set and guide the strategy for all communications, including the AUCC website, public relations messages, and collateral to consistently articulate the organization’s mission. The Manager, Communications & Events will ensure AUCC is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within the Atlanta University Center. This position will work closely with the AUC PR Council on a variety of strategic initiatives.
The Manager, Communications & Events will be responsible for managing AUC special event programs and activities. The candidate for this position should also have a solid track record in event management, provide outstanding customer service, be an enthusiastic professional, and be able to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the organization’s audiences in collaboration with the AUC PR Council and our constituents
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures and AUCC’s website
- Track and measure AUCC communications metrics via Google analytics or some other tracking mechanism
- Manage all media contacts
EVENTS & PROGRAMS
- Conduct research, make site visits, and find resources to help staff make decisions about event possibilities
- Coordinate on-site arrangements for all meetings and events: assist with negotiations for space contracts and book event space, arrange food and beverage, order supplies and audiovisual equipment, ensure appropriate décor
- Serve as liaison with vendors on event-related matters
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean up for events as necessary
- Prepare nametags, materials, notebooks, packages, gift bags, registration lists, seating cards, etc.
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to the Operations Director for each event project
- Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting
- Managing on-site production and clean up for events as necessary and close out all events as required
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred
- At least 3-4 years’ experience managing communications and coordinating special events, managing projects, teams and resources
- Experience in working in an academic environment focused on minority students
Nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest should be directed electronically to:
AUC Consortium Inc.
156 Mildred Street, Atlanta GA 30314